Ok, I dumped my databases and reinstalled 2.3.16 from
http://www.axis.cz/linux/debian (thanks by the way for the repo!) and got it all working again.

Still, maybe a dev or someone could have a look on the error message and add some more verbose output to the exception.

Kind regards,
Peter

PS: sorry for the incomplete mail - I hit the wrong key