Hi!

As most Linux distros began to roll out Thunderbird 78 recently
and given the fact that sogo-connector for this version was
(and perhaps is) a little bit problematic to use (to say it
politely) I started to experiment with the TbSync and CalDAV &
CardDAV Provider Thunderbird add-ons.

See https://github.com/jobisoft/TbSync and
https://github.com/jobisoft/DAV-4-TbSync/

So far the results are encouraging: the add-ons seem to work fine with SOGo
for both calendar and contacts. Given the SOGo DAV base-URL, the add-ons find
the user's calendar and address-book subscriptions automatically.
Synchronisation seems to work fine in both directions.

With TbSync users have to configure the SOGo account themselves.
Users have to provide the correct SOGo CalDAV and CardDAV URLs as well
as username and password in the TbSync admin GUI. After that, TbSync
automatically detects all calendars and address books the user has
subscribed to in SOGo. It even detects the colors assigned to each calendar.

For a smaller organization with only a few users this is IMHO way easier
for the admin as it is with the sogo-connector concept, where the admin
has to provide a customized sogo-connector XPI file (we had that dicussion
on this list a few weeks ago...)

I did limited testing with a few calendars and address-books, though
and can't say anything about large-scale installations.

Therefore I'd like to ask if anyone can share good or bad experiences with
these Thunderbird add-ons:
Did you try these add-ons as alternative to sogo-connector?
For how many users / calendars / address books?
Are you happy with it?
Did you find any problems?

Thanks!

- andreas