Hi All,

We have solr 8.11.1 . we would like to update a field which is defined as
stored=false  and indexed=true in schema.  According to the documentation ,
https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_11/updating-parts-of-documents.html  , the
field has to be defined as stored=true  Below is the snippet from the page

The core functionality of atomically updating a document requires that all
fields in your schema must be configured as stored (stored="true") or docValues
(docValues="true") except for fields which are <copyField/> destinations, which
must be configured as stored="false". Atomic updates are applied to the
document represented by the existing stored field values. All data in copyField
destinations fields must originate from ONLY copyField sources.

Did an experiment with sample_techproducts_config by changing the name field as
below with stored=false.

<field name="name" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="false"/>

Created a collection with configset sample_techproducts_config

Published this payload

{

    "id" : "978-1423103349",

    "cat" : ["book","paperback"],

    "name" : "The Sea of Monsters",

    "author" : "Rick Riordan",

    "series_t" : "Percy Jackson and the Olympians",

    "sequence_i" : 2,

    "genre_s" : "fantasy",

    "inStock" : true,

    "price" : 6.49,

    "pages_i" : 304

  }

And couldn’t see the name field in the query. Did field update as below
{"id":"978-1423103349",
 "name":{"set": "this is completely new name RN"}
}

Hoping this will fail ,but it succeeded .

Also could search

http://localhost:8983/solr/testme/select?indent=true&q=name:”rn”

search result
{
  "responseHeader":{
    "zkConnected":true,
    "status":0,
    "QTime":0,
    "params":{
      "q":"name:\"rn\"",
      "indent":"true"}},
  "response":{"numFound":1,"start":0,"numFoundExact":true,"docs":[
      {
        "id":"978-1423103349",
        "cat":["book",
          "paperback"],
        "author":"Rick Riordan",
        "author_s":"Rick Riordan",
        "series_t":"Percy Jackson and the Olympians",
        "sequence_i":2,
        "genre_s":"fantasy",
        "inStock":true,
        "price":6.49,
        "price_c":"6.49,USD",
        "pages_i":304,
        "_version_":1752890818039906304,
        "price_c____l_ns":649}]
  }}

Question :
Looks like the documentation needs to be updated ? (as stored=true is not
mandatory to do Atomic field update and this field is not copy field) or am I
missing something . Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rajeswari