On Sep 13, 2004, at 9:22 PM, Bill Landry wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Codger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you already use a blacklisting host(s) and also use SPF then the combination would be more effective than either alone, whether the SPF added or removed points even.

I agree that using SPF in concert with other spam filters is a good thing
for additional spam blocking capabilities. But why would you ever want to
deduct points from a spammers e-mail by deducting points for SPF pass,
especially if you know that more spammers have created SPF records than
legitimate domains have?

If the SPF records pass then the blacklisting becomes effective since spammers can't hide. You could add a small number of points for a pass in that case of course (or not if you wish). That's in sync with SA's sum total approach where multifaceted point scoring produces the most acceptable results overall.

If the SPF records fail (really fail I mean) then the email (at the MTA SMTP level) is simply rejected and SA would never be invoked.

Kindest regards,

Ron

"What shall we do? What shall we do?" he cried, "Escaping goblins to be caught by wolves!" - Bilbo Baggins

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/returnoftheking/trailer_large.html