I suppose this is a "piece of string" question, but I have a box configured
to receive mail using Suse, Postfix, pass it through Spamassassin 3.0 and
then relay it to an internal server.

Spamassassin is always invoked under a "filter" user account, so there is a
single shared bayes d/b.

Settings are pretty much default with all DNS based tests enabled, the
machine runs bind as a caching DNS server to speed up lookups.

The box is a PII-350mhz with 256mb ram and a pair of mirrored 10k SCSI
drives on a hardware raid controller, things vary but the machine processes
around 12,000 emails a week.

I don't know much about the best ways to evaluate performance under linux,
disk performance shouldn't be an issue, load averages show around 0.2-0.3,
but memory usage is always near the physical limit with around 60mb of swap
in use (this is going from top).

I wouldn't say things are at all slow, mail takes only a few seconds to be
passed through the box, but for sake of a few $$ presumably more ram is a
sensible way to go?

cheers,
Paul