----- Original Message -----
From: "Theo Van Dinter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Run spamassassin with -D, it'll tell you what files its reading.  Could
> be
> /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf, user_prefs, etc.

Okay, I created a test.cf file and added the following entries (with hyphens
"-"):

header RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL                 eval:check_rbl('CSMASBL',
'sbl.csma.biz.')
describe RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL               Sender listed in CSMA-SBL
tflags RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL                 net
score RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL                  2.0

header RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1                 eval:check_rbl('DNSBLT1',
't1.dnsbl.net.au.')
describe RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1               Sender listed in DNSBL-T1
tflags RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1                 net
score RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1                  1.0

Then ran "spamassassin --lint -D" and it came back with lots of detailed
information, including the directory where the CF files are being read from,
and the debug output included only the following warning/error messages,
which I had expected:
==========
error: rule 'RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL' has invalid characters (not Alphanumeric +
Underscore)
error: rule 'RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1' has invalid characters (not Alphanumeric +
Underscore)
warning: description exists for non-existent rule RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1
warning: description exists for non-existent rule RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL
warning: score set for non-existent rule RCVD_IN_DNSBL-T1
warning: score set for non-existent rule RCVD_IN_CSMA-SBL

And the last line included of the debug output was:
lint: 6 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
information.

Additional thoughts/ideas?

Bill