Candee Vaglica wrote:
> Make sure Net::DNS is installed and available

Thanks for the suggestion. Sod's law being what it is, I found the
problem shortly after sending the original message. I'll post the
details here in case anyone has the same issue...

I used the SA 3 bacport from http://www.backports.org on a Debian Woody
system. In order for the network tests to function, SpamAssassin
requires Net::DNS. In contrast with version 2.x, the version of Net::DNS
that is included with Woody (0.19) does not work with version 3. If you
run a message through SpamAssassin 3 in debug mode, it spits out a
message to the effect that version 0.34 is the minimum required for
network tests. It would be nice if it logged a message to this effect
via syslog at startup - would certainly have saved me a few hours of
testing and hunting....

Mike.