On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:35:31 -0800, Bob Amen wrote
> And you said "an aggressive greet delay." I tried
> that and found too many false positives with legitimate mail servers
> that are poorly configured. The only recourse for those false
> positives is another means of communication (eg. telephone). So
> who's being irresponsible?

I compromise.  I use a pretty aggressive greet delay -- but only on machines
that are on dynamic IP addresses (as determined by a DNS-based blacklist.)  So
if the person is on a static IP, *or* they're running an RFC-compliant MTA,
their mail gets through.  If they're on a dynamic IP and their MTA is crummy,
I don't get their mail.  Seems fair to me, and so far I haven't had any
problems with this technique.  It rejects an awful lot of mail from addresses
in comcast.net. ;)