I heard from Gisle Aas, the maintiner of the HTML::Parser module and he
writes:

"This problem has been fixed for upcoming 3.42.  The current released
versions require 5.8.1 or better to get Unicode support."

So for now, I'm using the 3.80, and will go to 3.42 when it shows up on
CPAN

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Steve