On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:57:44AM -0500, shane mullins wrote:
> We have been using SA for over a year now.  It has been great to us.
> I just upgraded both of our filters to SA 3.0.1 last night.  I just
> have one question.  When using the auto learn command, how do you get
> spam messages to the spam filter, in order to run auto learn?  For
> example, our spam filter forwards clean email to our mail server.
> Users read the mail, some spam will get through.

> What is the best way for them to get the spam messages to me, so I can
> run auto learn on them?

First, that last question is kinda confusing.  Autolearning is just
that.  Spam and ham that meet sufficiently high or low scores with
some distribution of the scoring between the headers and the body are
autolearned.

What you are asking about is manual learning in the event of an error by
SA.

Unfortunately, once the mail gets to a user (depending on their computer
skills), its pretty much gone.

What I mean, is that to feed the mails back to the bayes learning
process once it has gotten to the user is that the user somehow has
to get _the whole message, headers and all_ somewhere to be fed to
sa-learn.

I work with pretty bright people, many are in graduate school for
computer oriented, but I would never ask for an original mail back from
one of them because it would be too difficult with the multitude of
(usually broken) mail readers out there.

Part of the email rfc (I guess 822, not sure if its actually in another
rfc) contains a feature called "resending a message" or similar.  My
mailer, mutt, has this feature, and it describes it as:

  With resend-message, mutt takes the current message as a template
  for a new message. This function is best described as "recall from
  arbitrary folders". It can conveniently be used to forward MIME
  messages while preserving the original mail structure. Note that the
  amount of headers included here depends on the value of the $weed
  variable.

  This function is also available from the attachment menu. You can
  use this to easily resend a message which was included with a bounce
  message as a message/rfc822 body part.

Unfortunetly, I have only heard of one other old obsolete mailer
that has this feature.  I'm sure there are others, but its not too
common.

If you have a userbase with uniform mail programs, this could be easier
to implement.  Otherwise, I would not even attempt it.

Mike

--
| Michael Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |