Michael Barnes wrote:
> What you are asking about is manual learning in the event of an error
> by SA.
>
> Unfortunately, once the mail gets to a user (depending on their
> computer skills), its pretty much gone.

*Especially* if they're using Outlook.  Ugh.  :(

> What I mean, is that to feed the mails back to the bayes learning
> process once it has gotten to the user is that the user somehow has
> to get _the whole message, headers and all_ somewhere to be fed to
> sa-learn.
>
> I work with pretty bright people, many are in graduate school for
> computer oriented, but I would never ask for an original mail back
> from one of them because it would be too difficult with the multitude
> of (usually broken) mail readers out there.
>
> Part of the email rfc (I guess 822, not sure if its actually in
> another rfc) contains a feature called "resending a message" or
> similar.  My mailer, mutt, has this feature, and it describes it as:
[snip]

Pegasus Mail supports a "Bounce" feature that pretty much resends the
message, including all existing headers and body content (MIME goop and
all).  The major disadvantage of this is that it produces a message with
additional Received: headers, and depending on the email path other bits
of the message headers may get changed.  :/

> Unfortunetly, I have only heard of one other old obsolete mailer
> that has this feature.  I'm sure there are others, but its not too
> common.

*nix-based mailers are far more likely to have this than Windows-based
ones.

That said, I've asked (and asked, and asked, and PLEADED with) users to
forward mail as an attachment - which (from just about anything except
Eudora and Outlook) gets me *exactly* the message the user receives.
It's a little more work to untangle the attached message, but I've had
*no* trouble feeding these into sa-learn.

"Right-click, forward as attachment" works pretty well.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!