Rob MacGregor wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:12:06 +0000, Gavin Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We have presently upgraded the server that we run SA on

Dual Operton 2.2Ghz
2GB DDR Memory
SCSI U320 Raid5 Array

Running

Freebsd 5.3
Qmail
Spammassassin 3.01 - Standard conf

And we have had nothing but problems with it, it just chews up all its
memory, till it runs out and I have to reboot to correct it. Anyone any
thoughts.

I've got a FreeBSD 5.3 box running SA out of the ports (along with Sendmail, MIMEDefang and ClamAV) and haven't seen any memory usage problems. The box only has 512 MB of RAM, so I'd expect to hit them sooner :)

You're sure that it's SA that's the problem?  What are you using to
track memory usage?

I suspect that its my setup the system passes any message it recieves through and SA and passes it onto
the next mailserver. I think the way im running child processes is part of the problem, I'm running 50 and
having to get the system to restart each child after processes 2 messages to keep the memory usage down.

Here my spamd setup

exec /usr/local/bin/spamd -H "$HOMEDIR" \
--username=qmailq \
--max-conn-per-child=2 \
-A 127.0.0.1 -m 50 2>&1