On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, John wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
> > At 12:06 PM 12/23/2004, John wrote:
> > >Matt,
> > >I appreciate this info! Is there a place where I can go to find  more about
> > >how this all works?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware of. There's some bits of information in the wiki, but
> > there's no "one general source" of information...
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/HowScoresAreAssigned?action=highlight&value=perceptron
> >

> > Probably the best block of information is in the readme for the perceptron
> > itself:
> >
> > http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/masses/README.perceptron
> >
> > The rest of it tends to come from having a feel for statistics and how
> > statistical systems operate, and a little bit of watching the devs discuss
> > concepts over the years.
> >
> Matt,
> I checked out these sources earlier but as you say it seems like just bits
> and pieces. I guess there is no place that has all that is need to
> generate scores. I am currently testing some of the rulesets found in
> rules_du_jour and I am running into a problem. These rules hit my spam
> corpus and when I run mass-check the spam.log file shows entries for these
> rules but when I run the perceptron the perceptron.scores has no entries
> for these custom rules. Also when I run hit-frequencies none of these
> rules show up. I place the custom rules in
> Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1/masses/spamassassin/local.cf. I also placed them
> in Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1/rules/local.cf. It seems that mass-check finds
> them but perceptron doesn't.
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/MassCheck suggests running mass-check
> on custom rules but it doesn't really describe where these rules should be
> placed. In going through the code of hits-frequencies (it also can not
> find these rules) I noticed that it calls parse-rules-for-masses which
> apperently only checks the rules directory for "[0-9]*.cf". I haven't
> looked through perceptron.c yet. But before I start investing a lot of
> time I was wondering if you have run into this problem.
> One more thing, I run hits-frequencies and perceptron without any options
> that change the rules directory so they should be running with the default
> of ../rules.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Matt,
Well the obvious solution was to put the new rules into the existing
rules/[0-9]*.cf files which I did and I now have scores for the custom
rules in perceptron.scores. Either I was doing something wrong or
mass-checks looks in more places than perceptron for rules which is a bit
confusing when wading through all of this to generate scores. Any other
comments to help enlighten me on this subject are welcome. Other than that
thanks for the info.

Thanks,
John