Jim Maul wrote:

Whats strange is i was forced into using verizon. I called 3 other DSL companies who i KNOW have DSL in my area (my company uses one of them and they are less than 1 mile away) and they all claim that its not available. Verizon was the only one who actually saw DSL available on my line..im still baffled about this one.

-Jim

It's possible that you are just past the distance limits on DSL through those other providers, but Verizon has a digital substation close enough to you to give you the service.

I live too far from the central office to get ADSL direct from there, so for
a couple of years I had to settle for IDSL (DSL based on ISDN lines) which
is slower.  Then SNET/SBC installed a digital substation down the street and
could offer me ADSL (Yeah!), but there are no rules that they have to share
access to the substations like they do the central office, so no competing
providers could offer the same.  Things have turned out well though, they
were pretty easy to deal with and the service has been very solid.  I've
now got 6 static IPs on a subnet through them.

Steve