> First, I assume you're using a bayes_path statement to force the bayes DB
> for all users to be in roots homedir.

Yep!

> If so, DO NOT proceed..

> In order for your bayes DB to be wide open, ALL users must have r_x access
> to /root... that's a bad thing that you don't want to give them.

Done. I just opened up the directory rather than the files within it. They
still have the same permissions.

> move it to someplace in /var, /etc, /usr/share, or some other directory
> normal users can safely have read access to the directory.

Changed to a different location as you suggested.

> Also, be sure to set SA's bayes_file_mode to 777 in your local.cf,
> otherwise SA will just change the permisisons every time it updates the
> file.

Did that too.

Now in the log I see it looks much better.

debug: bayes token 'H*c:NHxtPHrt' => 0.152853685441601
debug: bayes: score = 4.01130517690973e-10
debug: bayes: 21457 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 21457 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 21457 untie-ing db_seen
debug: madiff: left: 0, orig: 11, max-difference: 0.00%

The strange thing is I temporarily had opened up /root/.spamassassin to be
wide open but still got the same results. So I can only think it must have
been the file_mode setting which made a fundamental difference.

Anyway, looks much better now thanks!

Chris