Michael Parker wrote:
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:37:50PM -0300, Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of messages about and version error in the bayes db in my log file:

spamd[6562]: bayes: bayes db version 0 is not able to be used, aborting! at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/DBM.pm line 160.

I'm assuming you're running sitewide bayes (or at least running as a
single user) and on a somewhat busy server.

Yes, I forgot to say that. I'm running a sitewide install with about 60000 incoming messages per day.

That error message is a pretty good indication that SA couldn't get a
lock on the bayes db files.  It's actually just a warning, not an
error, and it may or may not have actually aborted.

You'll see this on a setup that is getting a good amount of traffic
and using shared/sitewide bayes db files.

Several things you can try:

1) If you db files aren't on an NFS filesystem switch your lock_method
   to flock (the default is nfssafe).  If your shared db files are on
   an NFS filesystem then consider moving them off and switch your
   lock_method.

Done.

2) Throttle the calls to spamd to reduce lock contention.

Sorry to ask this again, but I'm not native English speaker :-P
Did you mean to increase the number of spamd children processes, like spamd -m x? I have currently set spamd -m 10.

3) Switch to SQL based bayes which won't (well shouldn't) have that
   issue.

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to keep that in mind :)

Thanks a lot Michael

BR,
Matías.