Gray, Richard wrote:
Anyone care to comment on how successful/effective this particular product is? (http://www.barracudanetworks.com)
There is something of a major dispute going regarding whether this represents better value for mney than other solutions (including our own, self built service)
If any of you fine people has any experience with this (tested it, use it, know someone else who uses it) I'd really appreciate any feedback you could give me on its pros/cons.
Thanks.
Richard

This email from dns has been validated by dnsMSS Managed Email Security and is free from all known viruses.

For further information contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Barracuda devices are a spammer's dream. They make it very easy to backscatter spam.

They bounce EVERYTHING causing a ton of backscatter. They seem to accept all mail, process it then bounce it back to the "sender" which is usually fake.

Here's one such log entry from one of my postfix servers... This is just one entry of over 10,000 in the last 6 hours alone (of course I removed the recipient address):

Feb 28 06:52:23 inbound1 postfix/cleanup[24781]: 3065B31A769: reject: header Subject: **Message you sent blocked by our bulk email filter** from barracuda.stcc.cc.tx.us[67.67.36.7]; from=<> to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> proto=ESMTP helo=<barracuda.stcc.cc.tx.us>: 550 Uknown User