> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Jon Dossey wrote:
>
> > > Sounds like a spamass-milter bug... have you checked their site:
> > > http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=spamass-milt
> >
> > I don't think it's a milter problem, because the messages are being
> > tagged - the subject just isn't being rewritten if the score is >
> > required_score.  So I know they're making it to spamc/d.
> >
> > I've checked my local.cf and user_prefs - is there any other
> > configuration file that could be overriding my settings defined in
those
> > files?
>
> Jon,
> You may not understand how a sendmail milter works, it's not quite
> like a classical unix filter 'pipe'.
>
> When you use spamd/spamc as a filter in something like procmail or
> postfix, the original message is fed to spamc via its standard-in
> and the spamc's standard-out then is used as the message (IE spamc's
> std-out replaced the original).
>
> With the sendmail milter system, sendmail hangs on to the original
> message and a COPY of the message is handed to the milter. The milter
> can, as a result of its cogitations, pass commands back to sendmail
> telling it to modify or add to specific parts of the original message,
> but there is no easy way to REPACE the original message in its
> entirety.
>
> Thus the milter must "notice" that spamc returned a modified subject
> and then issue the appropriate commands back to sendmail telling it to
> modify it's idea of what the original subject should be.
>
> So this does sound like a milter problem, not spamc/d

News to me, thanks for the information David.  That would definitely
explain why I can pass the *EXACT* same message to spamc by hand, and it
returns the message with the subject modified.  The "problem" can only
be reproduced using the spamass-milter, so that should have led me to
believe it was a problem with the milter to begin with.

I'm just going to compile the latest version of the milter (which I
really should have just done to begin with, but this is a production
machine, so its hard to get time to do it) and see how it goes from
there.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I know this seems like a ridiculous
question.

Thanks,
Jon