On 11/25/2017 06:35 AM, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
I hardly see any difference: with or without sa updates, the sa grades are always too low to be useful.

If I disable my own filters, and let sa do the job with its default rules, the ham/spam ratio is ~10%-90%. With my rules, I get ~95%-5% instead.

I think that sa is not different from other relevant software: it requires human effort.

Correct. With a well-tuned MTA in front of SA, local rules, and customizations/add-ons, the sa-update rules don't improve/impact the accuracy much. For example, simply adding the KAM.cf rules helps a lot more because Kevin can adjust his rules quickly to new spam campaigns.

You have to keep in mind that SA is run in many different ways. Some instances don't have the luxury of a well-tuned MTA in front of SA. Also, mail filtering is very dependent on the recipients, expected languages, and location (country). SA can't be accurate out of the box for everyone and does require some manual tuning to get the last bit of accuracy for that specific mail flow.

--
David Jones