Amazon does not block the dns but the URIBL blocks the requests coming
from the amazon subnet.  I pointed the spamassasin to the server i run
somewhere else and i used the port 1053 as a workaround as ATT blocks
incoming udp 53.

So 1053 on my firewall forwards to 53 dns server.

Now spamassassin is happy and URIBL db works.
Thx for a tip about the DNS.

Now, back to my ordinal question.
Is
http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Spam_DNS_Lists#Spam_Assassin_Examples
good addition to fight spam or its DB is same as URIBL?

thx

> I could me misunderstanding, but it sounds like you have a DNS server on
> different host than your mail server and that Amazon blocks that.  The
recommendation is to install a DNS server on the *same* host as your
mail
> server.  There will be no UDP traffic blocked between your mail server
and
> DNS server if they're on the same host because the traffic from DNS
server
> to mail server never leaves the box.
> Normally DNS is configured to query root servers and other folks DNS
servers on UPD 53; it's not clear to me if Amazon would be blocking that
but I rather doubt it, as DNS is pretty much the backbone of the
internet.
>  But even if they are, you can configure a DNS server to use TCP 53.
It's
> not as efficient but given that the DNS responses are cached, it's not
all
> that burdensome either.
> ...Kevin
> --
> Kevin Miller
> Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.
> 155 South Seward Street
> Juneau, Alaska 99801
cannot get over the dns issue unless you give me a dns server ip that
will respond to my queries for the uribl.
>> apt-get install bind9
> you did not reab my answer.
> I do have the dns server running but my isp does not allow udp port, so
> cannot point my amazon server to it.
>> configure it to NOT forward any dns queries to any other dns server, eg
it should just be listing on 127.0.0.1, and recolv.conf have just
nameserver 127.0.0.1