RE: The "goo.gl" shortner is OUT OF CONTROL (+ invaluement's response)

WARNING FOR ESPs AND MARKETERS: Google's "goo.gl" shortner is OUT OF CONTROL.

Spammers are starting to use this to evade spam filters, and Google isn't keeping up with the abuse, nor shutting these down fast enough. Along with blackhat spammers, we're seeing evidence that many gray-ish-hat spammers are jumping on this bandwagon, in the hopes that they will get more mail delivered if they can avoid using their domain in the clickable links. Keep in mind that, if a marketer is doing things the right way, they should have no need to obfuscate their own domain name. They should instead proudly use it and not feel the need to hide behind Google's shortner. Yes, there are many legitimate uses of Google's shortner, too. However, we are now at a point where a VERY large % (a majority?) of uses of these headed to a typical user's mailbox are egregious spams, and a significant additional portion are likely-spams. THEREFORE: If you like having NOT-blacklisted IPs, be advised that the invaluement anti-spam DNSBL system is now adding "bad" points to the scoring of all messages that use the "goo.gl" shortner, and we're amplifying other "bad" points. (We're also doing various sophisticated things to minimize potential resulting FPs, too. But this will still put MANY marginal IPs and domains into our blacklists that normally might have barely avoided an invaluement blacklisting!)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! DON'T ALLOW YOUR CLIENTS TO DO THIS!

ALSO: We're very seriously evaluating the option of converting each shortner to the URL it redirects to - and then potentially starting to add those domains or IPs within those URLs to our ivmURI domain/URI blacklist. This might not cause other such messages to get blocked, but it will have other negative repercussions for other uses of that domain.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com