On 2018-02-20 (08:30 MST), Rob McEwen <r...@invaluement.com> wrote:

> Spammers are starting to use this to evade spam filters,

This is not news. Spammers have been using shortness since 3 seconds after
tinyurl.com launched.

> Keep in mind that, if a marketer is doing things the right way, they should
> have no need to obfuscate their own domain name. They should instead proudly
> use it and not feel the need to hide behind Google's shortner.

No, that is not at all true. The primary use of a shorter is to shorten a long
URL to something that someone can type in.

Clicking a URL in an email is the height of stupidity, so having a short URL
that someone can realistically type into a browser is much better.

> Yes, there are many legitimate uses of Google's shortner, too. However, we
> are now at a point where a VERY large % (a majority?) of uses of these headed
> to a typical user's mailbox are egregious spams, and a significant additional
> portion are likely-spams.

Any evidence of this?

> THEREFORE: If you like having NOT-blacklisted IPs, be advised that the
> invaluement anti-spam DNSBL system is now adding "bad" points to the scoring
> of all messages that use the "goo.gl" shortner, and we're amplifying other
> "bad" points.

Well, at least you are warning people. However, what you are doing is, frankly,
dumb; if you think there's a huge problem, you can simply check the target URLs.

--
I've always had a flair for stage directions.