On 02/20/2018 04:08 PM, David Jones wrote:
On 02/20/2018 03:48 PM, David Jones wrote:
On 02/20/2018 12:57 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
On 2/20/2018 1:53 PM, David Jones wrote:
Over the years I have noticed junk/spam email coming from these servers so I created this rule:

header          ENA_RCVD_NOTRUST        Received =~ /\.(secureserver\.net|web-hosting\.com|websitewelcome\.com|inmotionhosting\.com|unifiedlayer\.com|ezhostingserver\.com|siteprotect\.com|internetbilisim\.net|privateemail\.com|registrar-servers\.com|emailsrvr\.com|registeredsite\.com) \[/

Well just spot checking, you've identified some of the largest ISPs on the planet.  Secure Server is Wild West/Godaddy WebsiteWelcome is HostGator, etc.

I knew they were major ISPs but spam still comes out of their servers at a higher rate than the occasional compromised account or bad customer of a good ESP (Exact Target, Mail Chimp, EMMA, etc).

I don't think they are going to be indicative of spam or ham and I would individually blacklist domains and contact their abuse.

I was doing that but always behind the whack-a-mole game.  I wanted to do the opposite and set a level playing field from a whitelist perspective for those servers by offsetting the whitelist negative scores to get them back to around zero and let Bayes plus other content-based rules determine the allow or block.

It doesn't seem like a good idea for whitelists to list these senders just because most of the email is ham.  If a small percentage is spam, then how do we report that back to Hostkarma and dnswl.org?  I can report it to SpamCop but that doesn't make it's way to the other whitelists.

SPF record for websitewelcome.com that Hostgator recommends to their customers:

v=spf1 include:spf.websitewelcome.com include:spf1.websitewelcome.com include:_spf.google.com

That is ridiculous!!!  It requires 8 DNS queries and shouldn't include Google's servers.

I just received this perfect example where BAYES_80, DCC, and UNWANTED_LANGUAGE_BODY were the primary hits that blocked this. I see some with many whitelists that would normally bring it below the block threshold but now I have meta rules with ENA_RCVD_NOTRUST to add back points with local *_OFFSET rules.

https://pastebin.com/mjvB0MKg  (scored 10.96)

Score   Matching Rule   Description
3.20 BAYES_80 Bayesian analysis determined this message has a 80%-95% chance of being spam. 3.20 DCC_CHECK Spam check using a checksum comparison with other mail servers on the Internet.
0.10    DKIM_SIGNED     Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
valid
-0.10   DKIM_VALID      Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
0.01    DMARC_NONE
0.20    ENA_NOT_DKIM_VALID_AU
1.20    ENA_RCVD_NOTRUST        Received from servers not trusted
1.20    ENA_RCVD_NOTRUST_MSPIKE_H2_OFFSET
0.25    HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS
0.00    HTML_MESSAGE    HTML emails can be used to hide or obscure spam.
0.50    JMQ_SPF_NEUTRAL_ALL
-0.20   RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE      Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, no trust
-1.20   RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2       Average reputation (+2)
-0.20   RCVD_IN_SENDERSCORE_80_89
-0.00   SPF_PASS        SPF: sender matches SPF record
2.80    UNWANTED_LANGUAGE_BODY  Message written in an undesired language

--
David Jones