On Mon, 3 Dec 2018, Grant Taylor wrote:

On 12/03/2018 11:53 AM, Alan Hodgson wrote:
I've been watching these for a while, and unfortunately there are a lot of customer-service type systems that send From: addresses with quoted @domain addresses in them. Many of them do "user@address via" <serviceaccount@portal.domain>, but not all.

Sorry, I was talking about the SMTP envelope. The unquoted part between angle brackets.

Are you talking about the SMTP-envelope From address or the 'Header' from addreses? It's possible to set those two different pieces of information to the same value but note that they are -not- the same attribute.

Depending upon how your SA is glued into your mail system your SA may not even have any visibility into the SMTP-envelope From address.

Under ordinary circumstances you will not see the SMTP-envelope From address in an e-mail message. All the parts you see following that "From: " header element in a message are the 'Header' from.

[snip...]

So you will definitely get false positives just looking at @'s.

I was talking about only counting the @ signs in the unquoted part between angle brackets. The <jdoe@i...@ext.example.net> in the following example.

That's the "from:addr" component of the header from address.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>