Michael Bellears wrote:

"I'm using 3.0.2 on a debian woody box. Its from www.backports.org (great site)"

Ok, so you're using Spamassassin 3.0.2 on Debian. Are you using Sendmail, qmail, courier, or postfix? I honestly don't know that Debian uses as a default mailserver.

Exim.

Ok, so you might want to check out this: http://www.exim.org/howto/rbl.html if you haven't. I've been working with a postfix/amavis-new/spamassassin/clamav setup, so I probably wouldn't be much help. Since I started doing RBL checks at the MTA(Exim for you) level I've seen a radical reduction in spam. It can save on processing too since the spam never gets past the received stage. Be careful though, some lists are much less forgiving than others and can block legit traffic.

Good luck.