On 2/10/19 7:35 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
Don't do it!

Why not?

Seriously, running and maintaining a mail server is practically a full-time job.

I profoundly disagree.

I spend less than 30 minutes a week administering my email / web / dns / news / shell servers. I've been spending about the same amount of time for years.

Admittedly I would spend about an hour a week on actual system administration when I ran a server that served hundreds of clients for $EMPLOYER. But 1 out of 40 hours (for an American work week) is /far/ from a full-time job.

Do you really want to spend a lot of time (and some time nearly every day) maintaining and patching and dealing with spam and viruses.

Is 30 minutes a week worth the freedom and flexibility that I have to do what ever I want on my servers? Absolutely.

What OS are you using (version and patch level)

Ubuntu LTS or Gentoo with recent updates, depending on the system.

Saying it is up to date isn't useful without version information. The current version of SA is 3.4.2.

I've largely been happy (as in they do what I want) with the versions that come in distro repos.

How did you install SpamAssassin?

Did you tun sa-update? Did it succeed? If not, did you run it with a -D flag?

Get SA working before you try to using spams-milter.

Agreed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die