On 15.02.19 11:53, Claudio Kuenzler wrote:
Came across a strange problem today where a mail is bounced by Postfix
because it was never "accepted" by Spamassassin.

This is the error, Postfix logged:

<redac...@example.com>: Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/spamc".
Command
   output:[the mail content]

maybe the filtering should not be done by spamc directly. There are other
ways - using spamass-milter, amavisd-milter, amavisd-new as content_filter
or smtp_proxy ...

In Spamassassin's log file nothing was logged.
A manual retry of sending the mail (both via remote mail client and  local
webmail client) resultet in the mail being stuck in the Postfix queue:

# date
Fri Feb 15 11:19:10 CET 2019
# mailq
-Queue ID-  --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
D01A1202E3* 4102925 Fri Feb 15 10:08:53  sen...@example.com
                                        redact...@example.com
                                        redact...@example.com

This stays in the queue until the default timeout (15min) hits and then the
mail gets bounced by Postfix, sending a non-delivery report to the sender
address.

I took this e-mail and sent it manually via spamc to spamd while running
spamd in foreground in debug mode (spamd --D):

# cat /tmp/mailcausingproblems.eml | spamc
-> nothing happened in the terminal where i'm running spamd!

I took a simple test mail and did the same:

# cat /tmp/working.eml | spamc
-> got tons of entries in the terminal where i'm running spamd

apparently the mail was scanned. look at its headers.

I was able to narrow it down to the embedded picture which has a size of
~3.9MB.

strange, spamc should put mail over 500K back unscanned.

I placed the whole base64 embedded picture stuff into the
working.eml mail before, sent it again via spamc and same effect as the
original mail (nothing happened).

Is there a size limit active in Spamassassin (spamc or spamd) which would
refuse this e-mail? Even if there is, there should be something logged,
right? Either spamc or spamd should log/output something helpful.

spamc default limit is 500K, you can increase it to 256M.
scanning of bigger mail can take minutes, e.g. FuzzyOCR calling OCR
programs. I think the default timeout is 5 minutes.

All other mails (with or without attachments) are going through just fine.

Any ideas? Is there a known bug which could cause this behaviour?

Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)