I've tested this with good results and I'm actually not creating any HTTPS connections - what I've found is a single HTTP request with zero redirections is enough. If it returns a status code >= 400 then you treat it like no valid website, and if you get a < 400 result (i.e. a 301/302 redirect or a 200 ok) then you can treat it like a valid website. You don't even need to receive the body of the HTTP result, you can quit after seeing the status.

And yes, as a 100% ban rule this is obviously a bad idea. As a score modifier I think it would be highly effective.

I found several "email only" domains in my sampling but all the big ones still had landing pages at the root domain saying "this domain is only used for serving email" or similar. I'm sure there are exceptions and some people will have email only domains, but that's why we don't put 100% confidence into any one rule.