On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 11:37:18 -0500
Mike Marynowski wrote:

> Looking for an A record on what - just the email address domain or
> the chain of parent domains as well? If the latter, well a lack of A
> record will cause this to fail so it's kind of embedded in.

Sure, but had it turned-out that most of these domains didn't have the A
record necessary for your HTTP test, it wouldn't have been worth doing
anything more complicated.

> Quick sampling of 10 emails: 8 of them have valid A records on the
> email domain. I presumed SpamAssassin was already doing simple checks
> like that.

You don't need an A record for email. The last time I looked it just
tests that there's enough DNS for a bounce to be received, so an A or
MX for the sender domain.