On 23 Mar 2019, at 14:03, Rupert Gallagher <r...@protonmail.com> wrote:
I was royally pissed when they introduced port 587 and deprecated port 465.
Port 587 is an RFC mandated security loophole. Port 465 is golden.

On 23.03.19 21:13, @lbutlr wrote:
Port 465 was a not-standard MSFT crutch, ut is now used for SMTPS and is fully
supported.

i did think the same, but:

In early 1997, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority registered port 465 for
smtps.[2] Late 1998 this was revoked when STARTTLS was standardized.[3]

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-tls/1997JanMar/0079.html
[3]
https://web.archive.org/web/20150603202057/http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls/mail-archive/msg00204.html