On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, RW wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
John Hardin wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Olivier Coutu wrote:

https://regex101.com/r/SUqMxn/1/

I understand that a single quote should be used when
writing /won't/, but it's probably not the first time __YOU_WON_01
hits on /won’t/ with a right single quotation mark.

Apparently this can happen automatically in certain text editors
when there are two apostrophes in the same sentence.

I would suggest a second negative lookahead to correct the issue.

Thanks, I'll try to get that in for tonight's masscheck.

It seems a bit premature. Possibly some editors do try to convert
text quoted with two apostrophes into a proper quotation. If one tried
to convert two legitimate apostrophes into a bogus quote, splitting-up
words in the process, I'd consider that to be a significant bug.

It's not that.

Think MSFT's annoying "smart quotes" converting a single typed apostrophe within a word into a Unicode right single quote so that it Looks Good.

I feel it's a valid issue, and the fix is checked in (at least for one flavor of Unicode right single quote, I didn't review the entire Unicode code space).

  ...the Constitution and the Bill of Rights exists to protect
  the individual, not the mob.                      -- Matt Pickering
 803 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)