On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 09:08 -0700, Sean Lynch wrote:
> A very large number (nearly all, in fact) of the spams I receive
> these days involve domains registered with Namecheap. I've received
> hundreds of spams involving .icu domains from what appear to be the
> same spammer.

Write a local rule that adds points for mails from .icu

> I also receive a large number of scams impersonating Bitmain, again
> using domains involving Namecheap.

As above, but for Bitmain.

> While Namecheap does suspend at least some domains within days of
> their being used in a campaign, it's clear that these are being
> treated as single-use domains, so this has very little impact on the
> spammers. Since for whatever reason they're so attractive to spammers
> that they seem to be a nearly universal choice, at least for spams I
> get, I'd like to add a spam score to any message using a domain
> registered with them.

If you don't mind a delay in receiving mail from hosts you've never seen
before, why not implement a greylister?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Does such functionality already exist in SpamAssassin?

Defining local rules has always been possible.

Greylisters are used to front end your MTA, so work independently of
Spamassassin.

I find combinations of rules can be surprisingly specific, e.g. to catch
sales spam:

- write a rule that contains a list of selling terms with a very small
  positive score (0.001)
- write another rule that contains a list of products pushed by
  spammers, again with a very small positive score
- write a meta rule the triggers only when both the previous rules
  are hit and give it a significant score

If you avoid sales terms and product names/descriptions that are in
common use the meta rule will cause few false positives.

Martin