Most people reading this list are probably not aware that batman has a
slightly different meaning to some people in current/former British
colonies. A batman was someone who acted something like a personal servant
to British military staff, mostly officers, I believe.

He wasn't the caped denizen of the night known from DC comics, for many
people - he was the fellow who shined shoes, picked up and dropped off
laundry, did some shopping, things like that.

I'm guessing that that's where this name may have came from.

Kurt