I forgot about this further down master.cf:

spamassassin unix -     n        n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Rq user=spamfilter argv=/usr/local/bin/spamass.sh -e /usr/sbin/sendmail
-oi -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}

spamass.sh consists of:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/spamc -s 750000 | /usr/sbin/sendmail -i "$@"
exit $?

It's been there all along. t sure why I did it that way.
I guess I need to re-read something as I have been changing the -s  value in
spamc.conf and is seems to have an effect after a restart.  00I would have
thought the value in master.cf would take precedence.

joe a