On Sun, 11 Jul 2021, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

On 7/11/2021 5:11 PM, John Hardin wrote:
"The other parts contain an application/vnd.ms-officetheme and an application/x-mso file. Which (in addition to the text/xml files) are used by Microsoft Word to load the embedded Word document."

Would the presence of all three of those MIME types be a scorable indicator?

If you can get me a spample, I'm sure I can tell you but in general we block macros so that's all that's needed.  Likely the OLEVBMacro plugin and KAM ruleset is blocking all of these already if you have the plugin enabled.

Regards,

KAM

Aren't there already rules and heuristics in ClamAV for detecting VBmacros in office docs?

I've got two copies of ClamAV running, one used as a blocking direct milter with default rules and another one feeding into the SA "clamav.pm" plugin with extra rules and heuristics/algorithms enabled.

--
Dave Funk                               University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>     College of Engineering