Throwing this out there... It does not solve the issue(s) with being on
EL6, and it doesn't solve the issue with what may be happening with
sa-update for 3.3.x, but it may be a potential interim solution to allow
your instance SpamAssassin to be more up to date in the meantime.

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/kevin/spamassassin-el/package/spamassassin/