Arne Jensen <darkde...@darkdevil.dk> writes:

> Den 11-11-2021 kl. 20:21 skrev Greg Troxel:
>> It's a really interesting question what DNSWL_MED ought to be for score.
>> Given what MED is supposed to be:
>>
>>    Medium    Rare spam occurrences, corrected promptly.
>>
>> -2.3 points seems entirely reasonable.
>>
>> But I don't see how gmail makes sense being medium, as spam from gmail
>> is not rare.  Probably it happens to me every day.  NONE seems more
>> appropriate, especially since I have no perception of google making a
>> serious attempt to avoid emanating spam.  (I realize this comment
>> belongs on the DNSWL list, but for now I'm not bothered personally
>> because the v6 addrs aren't listed.)
>
> Google (Gmail) is not, and have never been on medium.
>
> Last score change on Google's addresses, was in June 2018, demoting
> the last remaining ones from "low" to "none".
>
> Are you by any chance forwarding traffic from one server to another,
> and/or potentially missing something in your trusted_networks and/or
> internal_networks? This one is *very* common.

Sorry for being fuzzy. What I meant, and didn't say clearly, is:

  I get a lot of spam from gmail (that is properly DKIM signed and
  passes SPF).  I'm not seeing any of it get tagged as coming from
  DNSWL_MED.

  Having seen other people claim that google servers are on MED, I was
  opining that this didn't make sense.  (It seems that everybody agrees
  that it doesn't make sense and also that it has never been true.)

> Checking up with DNSWL is actually done by checking the first server
> in reverse order, that your own server does not trust, so if the
> inbound message you see was sent from Gmail, relayed over your
> friend's server (which is/was at medium), and then finally hitting
> yours, and that you do not have set your friend's server as one of
> your trusted ones, the DNSWL check will be done on your friend's
> server, ending up with flagging the message as medium.

For me, the trickiness is in mailinglists, especially when they are set
up without restrict-to-list-member and without good filtering.   So I
have put their addresses into trusted_networks.   This isn't quite the
same as someone MX-catching for me, but I think it works out the same.

Greg