On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, Matt Corallo wrote:
On 11/18/21 16:49, John Hardin wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, Matt Corallo wrote:

I followed up on the exim-users list on this - Exim *did* verify the FcRDNS here and the above header line is what it generates by default for FcRDNS. The RFC quote they responded with is at [1]. A FcRDNS-failed received line is at [2].

I've modified that rule a bit to also look at the HELO and envelope From address to see if they are from Shopify. Granted that's less reliable than rDNS, but it's probably Good Enough.

Note that the subject is, in hindsight, a bit of a misnomer.

Not really - it is accurate, but the scope was found to be larger. If this discussion continues, it might be reasonable to re-title the thread to be more representative. Perhaps "SA mis-parsing Exim Received headers".

Obviously there's a ton of rules that rely on FcRDNS, and in this case it seems like Exim's Received lines just do not match SA's current detection, causing this and many other rules to fail.

Recognized. Sadly, it won't be fixed in 3.4.x

 jhar...@impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhar...@impsec.org
  Taking my gun away because I *might* shoot someone is like cutting
  my tongue out because I *might* yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
                                                  -- Peter Venetoklis
 537 days since the first private commercial manned orbital mission (SpaceX)