I used to greylist and it helped a lot.

2FA killed that, however. When someone logs into a website, bank, etc quite often they use an email address as the second factor - so for that to work the email has to be delivered instantaneously. Also most 2FA does not follow any kind of SMTP standard, the will attempt delivery once and not retry if it fails.

Once 2FA became a big deal for the banks I got far too many user complaints on the greylisting to keep it.

Ted