On 6/27/22 2:50 PM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for input from people on how they handle attachments, and people using email as a file transfer service.

My opinion is that you shouldn't rely on using email as a file transfer service until /after/ you've tested that it works.

One of our users must have posted to a job site recently, soliciting resumes from people internationally. This resulted in 100+ emails from random people who had never emailed this user before, many of which had no subject and no body, just a PDF attachment. Some had the "Sent by my iPhone" signatures, but that's about it. Virtually all of them were tagged as spam due to bayes.

>wince<

Any recommendations? There wasn't otherwise anything wrong with the attachments - they were all legitimate resumes from legitimate sources.

*nod*

Should they be blocked?

I don't think so.

By your own description, these seem like perfectly legitimate email. Admittedly the content was a little questionably formatted.

Should I retrain bayes to not consider these spam? I'm now training bayes with them as ham, but it will take a lot to offset these. Same with emails that only contain images.

I don't know what the /technical/ solution to this particular use case is. However these messages /sound/ legitimate to me.

Should an email with only an image attachment with no subject and no body but sent from a legitimate source and otherwise not dangerous be considered spam?

These don't sound like spam to me.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die