On 2022-08-23 14:31:55 +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Fair enough: I did say that some of this was off the top pf my head at
> the end of a longish day.
>
> Would doing the lookup trick on the URL in the Message-ID header be any
> more reliable?

DNS Lookup checking is valid only for IP -> FQDN -> IP, not
FQDN -> IP -> FQDN, whatever the FQDN.

Note also that the Message-ID is not a URL, just some kind of
identifier with some syntax and that must be unique. In general,
you shouldn't assume anything on the right-hand side of a
Message-ID. RFC 5322 just says:

  As with addr-spec, a liberal syntax is given for the right-hand side
  of the "@" in a msg-id. However, later in this section, the use of a
  domain for the right-hand side of the "@" is RECOMMENDED.

In particular, it doesn't need to be resolvable, and there are
good reasons for which this may not be the case. For instance,
the Message-ID may be generated on the machine from which the
message is sent, with some internal hostname on the right-hand
side (this is better to ensure unicity), thus is not resolvable.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>