Bill Cole <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com> writes:

> On 2022-12-04 at 09:57:09 UTC-0500 (Sun, 04 Dec 2022 09:57:09 -0500)
> Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com>
> is rumored to have said:
>
>> Putting on my CS pedant hat, I guess the big question is if there is a
>> violation of a previously published specification.
>
> If not, it would only be a consequence of no definitive clear spec existing.
>
> The logic around rule ordering, completion of meta rules, and
> shortcircuiting is mind-numbingly subtle. If there is a clear unified
> description of how it has worked in the past, I cannot find it.  My
> sense from the 3-year odyssey that was Bug 7735 is that we've never
> worked out a complete flowchart or state diagram that covers the whole
> realm of possible situations. I wouldn't even bet on the existing
> relevant documentation spread around the project being 100% internally
> self-consistent.

That's more or less what I was getting at.  If there is not a clear
specification (i.e. the documentation says that it works like X) that
people can properly rely on, then the pedant in me says that behavior
changing slightly, but still within the swim lane implied by the
previous non-spec, is not a bug.