First of all, thanks for your help!

Now, I am a bit uncertain about what would be the best practice for a
milter to place its headers.

I've patched spamass milter to let any previously added "X-Spam"
headers untouched, and just add its own headers on top of the header
list as required by spamassassin's results, thus leaving it up to the
downstream software to choose which "X-Spam" headers to use for furter
processing. This is okay for me.

In its original code, spamass-milter adds its own headers to the bottom
of the header list, or updates existing "X-Spam" headers in place if
their names match those spamass-milter uses.

What do you think?

Robert

--
Robert Senger