On 2023-12-29 at 08:41:23 UTC-0500 (Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:41:23 -0500)
Alex <mysqlstud...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

Hi,

Barracuda recently announced they've identified a vulnerability in the
Spreadsheet::Excel library used by amavis in their appliances. I didn't
realize they were still using amavis and open source (and presumably
spamassassin?).
https://www.barracuda.com/company/legal/esg-vulnerability

Barracuda has never been entirely open about their components, but they started as a very typical Postfix/Amavis/SpamAssassin/ClamAV rig.

I don't have this library on my system - is there a plugin that enables
parsing of Excel spreadsheets for malicious code?

The OLEVBMacro plugin exists. It does not use Spreadsheet::Excel. Malice is out of scope, but since mailing around MS files with macros has never been a good idea, discriminating between malice or sheer blinding stupidity is non-critical.

In my experience it has been workable to just reject mail with .xls and .xlsx attachments by default at any Internet-facing MX. 20+ years of warnings about how reckless it is to share MS documents ought to suffice for anyone.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire