On 1/3/24 01:21, Jared Hall wrote:
On 1/2/2024 5:24 PM, Thomas Cameron via users wrote:

The problem is, when I send email to presid...@myassociation.org, gmail rejects the forwarded email because it appears to come from my personal domain, not the mythical myassociation.org domain. DKIM, DMARC, and SPF all fail, which I totally understand.

How can I make this work? Is there a good way to use something like /etc/aliases to forward emails to the domain I manage to another recipient? Or is there something better I can do?

You will probably find that forwarding Emails to most systems, including MSN/Live/Hotmail/Outlook and Yahoo/AOL works OK (for now).  But if you want Vacation/Out-Of-Office/Autoresponders to work to Gmail addresses, you MUST run DKIM on your managed domain.  Even valid SPF alone will NOT do.

I actually set up SPF, DMARC, and DKIM on the non-profit's email server. It works fine if I send email from the server.

The rub is, I want all emails to presid...@example.org to be forwarded to presidents_real_addr...@gmail.com. Since the forward happens at mail.example.org, the "from" is from some other domain from example.org, so it fails all the tests.

Implementing DKIM w/ DMARC is a good, if not the best, practice. Considering present trends, SPF/DKIM/DMARC Auth-neutral will become the new "bad".

Oh, I firmly agree with you. I have all three services configured, and I wouldn't deploy a mail server without them. This is just an odd corner case where the easiest thing to do is just redirect emails to the non-profit's president's real email address.

Instead of using /etc/aliases, I'm playing around with a procmail recipe to munge the "from." We'll see if it works.

I apologize this isn't strictly SA related, I am just hoping someone can give me advice or provide I link to follow on how to make this work.

package: opendkim + access to your managed domain's DNS records.

I agree, and that's already done.

Thanks, sir!
Thomas