Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:19:39 +0200 Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:59:12AM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:

I received about 500 on the webmaster account.

Now we know what "sober" was all about.

I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!

[SNIP...]

No attachments seem to be sent and our Mail-filter would
have 'eaten' anyway all the current Sober-Viruses/Variants.
(I'm pretty sure about that, I'm its admin)

He didn't mean the messages CONTAIN a virus/trojan.

Over the last 2 weeks a new "sober" worm variant was released and infected
tens of thousands of clueless Windows user machines.

The current wave of political spam is being sent out through those infected
machines.

<DREAMING>
It would be really nice if all the ISPs of the world would get together and
create a comprehensive database of all residential IP address pools
maintained in dnsbl fashion. Something the owner of an IP block could add to
or remove from (with encrypted pass protection) *easily* when IP's are
reassigned. Blocking direct, unauthenticated, SMTP transactions from
addresses on that list would stop 90% of virus transmission and a large chunk
of spam as well.
</DREAMING>

Gerald

Many already do... I know mine does, along with the local cable co. (I'm on dsl)

--
Thanks,
JamesDR