On Tue, 17 May 2005, Matt wrote:

> Does anyone know the logic behind this spam bombing?  I have a friend
> who has a gmx.de account and he has gotten 0 german spam in it... yet
> here in the u.s. we are getting bombarded by the spam.

Yes, it's an intelligence/clue level logic. Last week some hackers
created a virus (commonly known as "Sober.p") which infected lots of
clue-less windows llusers. Sober.p downloaded Sober.q and then went
dormant. Sunday morning (00:00 GMT) Sober.q went active and turned
loose the flood of spam. The recipient lists were generated from the
address books on the victim's computers. See:
http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog
(Note that this is similar to the "Sober.g" event of last year.)

So the intensity of the spam bombing is inversely proportional to
the local computer community 'clue level'. This tends to indicate
that there are more clue-less American windows llusers than there
are German. No surprise there, however a bit counter-productive
given the original perps probable desired results. ;)

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>