On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:16:15AM -0700, Mike Jackson wrote:
> A couple days ago, I set up AOL's "feedback loop" (though the loop part is
> a misnomer, since you can't actually respond to the messages) so I could
> monitor complaints against my employer's servers. Looking through the
> messages AOL says their members reported as spam, I noticed that none of
> them actually originated on my servers; they were all messages that were
> sent to addresses at the servers, then forwarded to AOL accounts, and since
> AOL records the IPs of all servers the message touched, I'm tainted by them.
>
> So, how do you deal with this? My setup on the servers is like this:
>
> * Sendmail
> * Using Spamhaus SBL/XBL to deny listed servers at MTA level
> * Most of the AOL forwarding is done via Sendmail's virtusertable
> * Mail passed to SA via procmail on a per-user basis (not site-wide, yet,
> but that's in the plans)
>
> The solutions I've already thought of and rejected:
>
> * Invoking SA via milter and denying spam at the MTA level, but few
> customers would want spam denied outright (heck, I know I wouldn't). Of all
> these possible solutions, though, it's the only one that wouldn't leave my
> server's mark on the message.
>
> * Setting up user accounts for the users with AOL forwards, filtering the
> mail through SA, then delivering it only if SA didn't mark it as spam, but
> that's a lot of users to set up.
>
> * Doing the preceding with a single user account and redirecting the mail
> to the right addresses via procmail and/or formail, but that wouldn't scale
> well and would wind up being a mess.
>
> * Invoking a policy of not forwarding to AOL accounts, but we're a web
> design/hosting firm with about 200 domains, and a handful of customers have
> AOL addresses, and that sort of policy wouldn't stand.
>
> Any other workable suggestions? (And please, no suggestions that involve
> changing MTAs. It's not going to happen.)

As I understand it, once you have your server listed on the AOL
feedback loop, it is whitelisted, so that may solve the immediate
problem.

<rant>
The big problem with AOL's system is clueless (l)users who hit the
"report as spam" button accidentally or intentionally.  I am the owner
of a mailing list hosted on the server of an IPP.  We started getting
postings rejected by AOL's servers.  I voluntarily listed myself as
the stuckee to get the feedback for the list server.  I found that the
vast majority of feedback I got was from some subscriber to one of the
other lists, who, I guess, thinks hitting the spam button is a good
way to get unsubscribed from the list, because s/he has about half the
brains of a good fence post and can't figure out how to unsubscribe
him/herself.  The other problem is that, for privacy reasons, AOL
expunges the recipient's address, so we have no idea whom to
unsubscribe.

It's a stupid system.

I heard of one list owner who solved his problem by unsubscribing all
his AOL listers, I think, after posting or emailing them that all of
them need to subscribe themselves.
</rant>

Cheers,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.