On Friday June 10 2005 11:16 am, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 08:06 -0700, James Bucanek wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I consider myself a "weekend" spam assassin.  I run my own server
> > (co-located), and have about a dozen users (mostly friends and family,
> > but a few paying customers).  But running a mail server isn't my day job.
> >  I don't run Razor or any of the cooperative spam filters simply because
> > I didn't have the time to figure them out and set them up.
> >
> > I'm running Spamassassin 3.0.2 which I installed a few months ago.
> >
> > SA is still only catching about 50-75% of the spam.  I've set up Bayes
> > learn ham/spam mailboxes, and I regularly feed them 200 to 500 messages a
> > day.  Yet even after months of training, I still get messages like this:
> >
> >     Subject: (6/10/05) Mortgage Rate Report
> >
> > HTML_FONT_TINY,HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_04,HTML_MESSAGE,NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP,
> > OPTING_OUT autolearn=no version=3.0.2
> >
> > As you can see, the Bayes filter has nailed it as spam, but it still only
> > gets a score of 3.6.
> >
> > I currently have my threshold set to 7.0.  I've been considering lowering
> > it again (maybe to 5.0), but am paranoid about false positives.  I can go
> > through my mailbox and see ham that has scores of 3 or even 4.
> >
> > I was hoping that someone here could give me some quick advice as to what
> > I might be doing wrong, or point me to a trouble-shooting site for SA.
> >
> > I was previously using a client-side Bayes filtering system and was
> > getting 99.8+% spam identification rates.  SA has been, so far, a bit of
> > a disappointment and I'm sure it's my fault.  :)
>
> I have SA (plus spamass-milter to reject, but that's not important for
> this discussion) on a bunch of servers at various client sites.  All of
> them except one just flat stop spam.  Period.  Those clients are just
> tickled pink with the results.
>
> The one client who does not allow me to use Razor, Pyzor and DCC (they
> won't open their firewall) is very dissatisfied with the solution.  It
> is incredibly frustrating.
>
> So my answer to you would be to install those three helpers and make
> sure that you have a recent Net::DNS installation.  You will see
> accuracy go *way* up.
>
> Thomas

I hope you don't mind my breaking into this thread, but I have a question
regarding SA helpers.  My mail setup is sendmail with spamassassin, and I'm
using SARE rules and bayes.  Ours is a small shop (mail vol. about 1000
msgs./day).  Right now, I get virtually no FPs, and an occaisional FN.  As we
grow, I would expect that we'll be receiving more spam.  What would Razor,
Pyzor, and DCC do for me?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Dimitri