JamesDR wrote:
> Chavdar Videff wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Our mailserver server serves about 100 users. Our config:
>> Sendmail+Procmail+SpamAssassin.
>> The question is:
>> If I got it right, we should run sa-learn for each user in order to
>> benefit from bayes. We intend to run a cron job for each user and do
>> it at night by supplying a daily snapshot of our spam and ham
>> collections to sa-learn. Can our mailserver handle it (256 MB RAM,
>> Celeron 400 Mhz)?

Why would you want to setup Bayes on a per user basis if you are going to
feeed it system-wide hams and spams? Especially feeding it systemwide hams
is odd.

>> A weekly collection run for 1 user usually eats 100% of CPU load. My
>> concern is whether the system is going to crash or just do the job
>> slower and if you can point out how many sa-learn tasks could we run
>> simultaneously with our setup.

Systems shouldn't crash under high load, so that's not a real concern. If it
does happen, you have a more serious problems elswhere. What would be more
of a concern is how it is going to affect other processes running on your
system. Slower is not a problem, but if you really put the load on your box
from a lot of processes, you might start seeing time-outs.

>> All hints will be appreciated, for we scheduled an initial load for
>> 16 users of the big collection of spam received so far.

If your are going to simultaniously learn spam and ham for 16 users, and
want to keep running your mailserver/spamassassin too (it take you also have
a virusscanner running somewhere), I would consider at least running the
sa-learn processes under nice to keep them from stalling more essential
services. But, depending on your System setup (OS, DB, etc) you might want
to cut down a little on the number of processes run simultaniously.